Hello Everyone. I have been running Smart Fields for a while now in an AP project. We are using a high volume of extractions, and I'm spending quite a bit of time reworking the prompts to ensure that the correct data is extracted.
My idea that I would love to see from Laserfiche is a "testing" mode of some sort for my Smart Field Templates.
Here is my use case.
A user lets me know the vendor name did not come through correctly. I find that it's grabbing my company name from the invoice. I go to my dev environment, change the description(prompt) for the field, reapply the template, and wait to see what happens. I just burned an extraction. If it doesn't work, I try again. That uses another extraction. Once I have a prompt that I like, I use that in my production system. I feel like I'm doing this quite a bit.
I'm not sure exactly what this solution would look like, but I have some ideas. Maybe it could be a way to run tests in my Cloud hybrid repo, maybe it's an LF site that I could upload the document and provide prompts to see what the results would be. Maybe it's a sandbox license for the AI service that I could use, which wouldn't reduce my production extractions.
I feel that testing and the debugging of Smart Field is costing me extractions that should be used in my production system.
What do we think of this idea? Thanks.
Discussion
Discussion
AI Smart Fields Testing module
Hi Lucas, In repository Administration,>General>Show Advanced, you can uncheck the Enable Automatic Extraction. At least this way when assigning the Template the Smart Fields does not run automatically, but you can press the Extract Button in the Template which as its manual doesn't count as a unit. I typically do this when I'm building Smart Fields and want to test again documents without using units
Where is the extract button in the template?
Also, how would doing a manual extract NOT use your extractions? That doesn't make sense.
What Steve mentioned is only true for Laserfiche Cloud. I am guessing you are using a self-hosted system based on the tag you used for this post. Manually pressing the Extract Button in self-hosted does count as a unit, but it doesn't in Laserfiche Cloud. You can read the conversation about this for self-hosted here: LF 12 Smart Field Extractions - Laserfiche Answers
Sorry about that, Blake is correct, I was thinking Cloud not Self Hosted
No problem, Steve, that's what is great about this forum, I always learn new stuff here.
This kinda confirms the possibility of one of my ideas, though. Since I am on a self-hosted system, I have a hybrid cloud account. What would be great is an SF testing mode in there. I could upload my test document, my template, and run extractions on it without hitting my bucket. Once I like my prompts, I put them in my on-prem system. What does LF think about this?