Anyone had this happen before? Over the weekend one customer noticed their forms marked as public were requesting credentials. I was using one of their forms publicly on Friday even from a remote site with no login, so I know it was working.
We performed a version upgrade over the weekend and everything appeared normal. Nothing was touched in terms of activation keys.
Today, I found that the public option was removed for all forms under Access Rights.
I went to their keys and tried swapping their key. The key which they were using, containing the public licensing was called Participant. So I tried the one called Portal and found that their public feature was now in the Portal key, along with their participant licenses of course. Previously both features were in the Participant Key. It just moved over the weekend.