I'm attempting to copy some files and folders into LF on a schedule. However, the folder structure is very sensitive in its organization, meaning I do not want to relocate the files into a "Processed" folder or delete them. Is there any way to prevent post processing from making these alterations? I would like the folder to remain completely untouched, but be able to be pull files from it on a schedule. Should I be looking at another option besides Import Agent? Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.
Question
Question
In Import Agent, can you just copy the files into LF and not move/delete them?
Answer
How would the importer (whatever you use) know what files have already been imported? The reason Import Agent is set to move or delete the files is that it does not track what it has imported. Therefore, every time it runs, it will import every qualified document it finds in the monitored location.
You could, through the SDK, create your own importer that has some sort of DB of imported files that it can use to only import new files, but that is far beyond what is available in the Import Agent.
Replies
Thanks Bert, this completely makes sense. I knew this was an obvious one I was somehow missing! :)
Bert,
did you figure out how to do this without moving the files? I'd love to learn more about your approach, if you don't mind sharing the idea.
I did not build a solution to this request. Trying to keep track of imported files verses new files is not one I wished to tackle.
Just recording the last run date and then looking for documents that have been created since that time does not ensure that you get every file that has been added to the monitored folder because the file date is not updated on a move/copy action. This means that you must record every file name and date that is imported by your application and then before your application uploads a file, it must check the list the ensure it gets/uploads only files not already uploaded. This checking and recording of files before and after upload will add a lot of complexity to your code and really slow down your uploading process.
I want to leverage this as well but I'm not well versed with SDK. I want to monitor for anything new since the last import time stamp and import the file(s) into LF.