You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Posted to Laserfiche Lounge

advanced search for exact field value length

asked on April 29, 2015 • Show version history

I have a text field of 20 characters. Most of its field values are 9 or 12 characters in length. I want to do an advanced search to get all documents in which the field value length is exactly 9 characters. Thanks in advance.

 

Clarify: I need to know when the text field has 9 characters together that are not spaces. For example, 123456789.

0 0

Replies

replied on April 29, 2015

I don't believe there is any way to accomplish this directly even using advanced search. If you're using a numeric field, the advanced operators are: greater than, less than, equal to, etc.  A text field only offers 'equal to' or 'not equal to'. What you want requires a function to evaluate the length of a field, which is not part of search but could be done in workflow. What you might do is use a workflow to perform that calculation and store the result in another field (or otherwise flag it somehow), so you could limit your search by length, such as:

Field: 123456789

Field Length: 9

(You would likely need to allow for the fact that the field could change and thus require the length field to be updated as well.)

 

 

0 0
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.