You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Question

Global variable across multiple form uses

asked on June 23, 2014 • Show version history

 Hello,

I'm wondering if its possible to use a variable that will decrease by one each time the form is ran until it is 0. I've tried a few things but it will always just reset back each time the form is ran.

 

Thanks!

0 0

Answer

SELECTED ANSWER
replied on June 24, 2014 • Show version history

Right, you need to keep the total number of prizes somewhere that each instance can access. If you do the calculation only on the client-side using JavaScript, you can't update the total where other instances will have access to it.

0 0

Replies

replied on June 23, 2014

I was just curious but what's the use case here? Are you just trying to limit the # of forms that can be submitted? There may be another way to get the same result if you could explain a little bit more about what you're trying to do here. 

0 0
replied on June 23, 2014

Okay here's the situation,

Random people will be submitting a form through the portal. Each time they submit a form they are awarded a prize which will show up at the bottom of the form after they have filled in their information. I wanted to have a variable with the actual number of prizes that can be given away set at the beggining. That way each time someone submits a form, the total number decreases and as soon as it hits 0, it will no longer show the image. I have several pictures that will just show up at random, so there will actually be more than one variable I will need to set, but I was just trying to see if it was even possible.

0 0
replied on June 24, 2014

Use a database table, store the original number.

 

When load form, setup a database lookup rule, read the number(s); setup a page rule, if number bigger than 0, or other criteria, show the certain html field with certain image.

 

After user submit, add a workflow service task, deduct one from the original number.

0 0
replied on June 24, 2014

So this is not possible without access to a database?

0 0
SELECTED ANSWER
replied on June 24, 2014 • Show version history

Right, you need to keep the total number of prizes somewhere that each instance can access. If you do the calculation only on the client-side using JavaScript, you can't update the total where other instances will have access to it.

0 0
replied on June 24, 2014

Thanks guys, I was really hoping there was some other way to do it without using a database but I guess not!

0 0
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.