You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Question

SQL Table(s) With Forms Instance Email Data

asked on May 4

I have a request to find all emails that were sent for each instance of a specific Forms business process.  Does anyone know which SQL table(s) I need to be querying to get the following email information (Date/Time Sent, Sent To Email Address) for an instance:

  1. Emails sent via Email Service Task activity
  2. Emails sent via Reminders tab in the User Task activity
1 0

Replies

replied on May 5

I'm pretty sure there was a previous Answers post about this, and the answer was that the sent email data is not kept in the Forms database.

2 0
replied on May 5

I'm just guessing here - I don't know this for certain - but I don't think that information is saved in the Forms database.  Or at least, I've never been able to find it, and I've looked a few times.

If you look on the Monitor page of an instance, you'll see that email tasks show in the history but without any details of the actual email.  They also do not have a submission ID value that you could key off from the database like a task or workflow submission would have.

1 0
replied on May 6

That's what I was afraid of.  I have customers that need to track ALL emails sent, so it looks like I will have to update their process diagrams to call workflow after every email is sent via email activity and write the email data to a custom table.  While this will work for the normal email activities, it wont work for the built-in reminder functionality. Thus I will also have to go old school for reminders and just have timers attached to the user task that sends the reminders and then calls Workflow to write the data into SQL. 

Seems like such an obvious thing to track with the Action History, so I am not sure why this data is not being captured by Forms already. I hope this is something Laserfiche will add to Action History so that it is available to view in Forms, written to the Action History when saved to Laserfiche, and able to be queried directly via SQL. 

1 0
replied on May 6

That would be a lot of extra data to track for some organizations and would lead to database bloat. I don't think this is a requirement for most organizations. I would see if the client can pull that information from their email server instead, since the email transactions are all recorded there already.

0 0
replied on May 6

You could add a transport rule on the mail server to copy all emails from Forms to a specific mailbox. That way the process designers wouldn't have to remember to set things up or use Workflow. 

As Blake said, you should look at logging options on the mail server if you don't need to keep a full copy of the email contents. 

0 0
replied on May 6

While I appreciate these other options, the customer is wanting to see the specifics of the emails (date/time sent, email address sent to) in one of 3 places:

  1. Directly in the Action History for the instance
  2. Written into a table in the Form that updates every time the form loads
  3. Via custom reporting solution (e.g. Power BI)

Thus for now, we just call Workflow after every email sent, save that email info into a custom table associated with the Instance ID, and pass the updated table data back up to the corresponding Forms table variable. This is working but prevents us from using built-in reminders and requires considerable Workflow calls.  I was hoping to update the overall design, minimizing the Forms use of Workflow to track this data. 

When Forms is generating emails, is any of that data temporarily written to SQL where I could then put a trigger that writes it to a custom table?  

 

0 0
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.