You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Question

'Search in document' for public user in Public Portal & Redaction for public user

asked on February 4

While accessing Laserfiche through the Public Portal, I can search within a document using the 'Find in document' search box - However, I am not receiving any search results when I search the same word in the 'Search in document' box at the top. Is there a way to make the top search box functional to produce search hits within the public document. 

Additionally, I have completed a redaction in a file in my actual repository - that is a document viewable from the Public Portal - but the redacted item is not showing as redacted. 

I have looked everywhere online and in videos for these answers and they don't exist - very frustrating!!! 

Please help!

1 0

Replies

replied on February 4

For the first item, is "Find in document" the search functionality provided by the browser itself? If that can find the text but the "Search in document" does not find it, then it would seem like the document has not been correctly indexed for search. What kind of a document is it?

For the second item, there are a few ways this can happen. Remember that a redaction can be applied to one or both of the image and text components of a page, and depending on how the redaction was created it's possible that it was not applied to the other portion. Also, redactions do not apply to electronic file components, so if the document is a pdf or similar and the user views the document as a pdf, the redaction does not come into play. What kind of a document is it, and how was the redaction applied?

2 0
replied on March 24

Hi, I screenshotted the search bar I am having issues with. I believe that we have the public portal showing image files (instead of electronic, in order to show redaction if we eventually got to this point of understanding the system)- The documents are all pdfs (scanned in with ocr) that have been uploaded with the Generate Text and Generate Pages option. That is why I can't understand why the search is not working!!

Thank you for any help you can provide

Screenshot 2026-03-24 094701.png
0 0
replied on March 24

This screenshot looks to be the PDF layer, which is why your redactions aren't showing up. Those are only on the TIFF image layer. So if security is a concern, you'll want to remove the PDF layer and only keep the TIFF version, at least in folders that are publicly accessible.

Regarding the search boxes, the lack of results from 'Search in document' makes it sound like text has not been extracted or generated for this file. Or if it was, it hasn't been indexed for some reason. I believe the 'Find in document', which is working, is part of the PDF plugin so is the browser searching within the PDF directly as opposed to Laserfiche searching the text, which is what the top box does.

2 0
replied on March 26

Are you able to advise how to go about fixing this moving forward. Are we messing up right from document upload? 

0 0
replied on March 26 • Show version history

You have a few options depending on where these files are coming from. If uploading directly into the repository, then it's possible to do the conversion to TIFF on import and remove the PDF layer. Those are user options but can be defaulted through the use of user attributes. In fact, I think the option to remove the PDF isn't even there if using Web Access, and for the desktop Client it's in the Options menu but not the import dialog. But either way, there are attributes that control this that can be set on Everyone.

If they come into Laserfiche another way there are likely options there--like Import Agent--but it depends on the import method.

Also, this completely removes the PDF version. If there is a reason that needs to be kept, then you'll want to explore other opions.

1 0
replied on March 26

I don't have these options in Laserfiche Cloud -Do I need to create a user attribute that does this and apply it? 

0 0
replied on March 26

Oh sorry, hadn't realized you were Cloud. I think it should all work the same. Here's a screenshot of an account that I have set up with these attributes. The 2 that really matter are ImportPDFPages and KeepPDFFile

 

0 0
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.