You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Question

Forms v11 and v12 Save Draft does not show

asked on December 17, 2025 • Show version history

I get a report about this happening about once a month by some unfortunate user that had it happen to them. I could never get any details about because they submit again a move on with their lives. 

This time i got a a pretty good clue. This user had an email sent to them with the draft url in it to return to the draft. I had her fwd me the email. It contained this URL:

OUR-FORMS-SERVER/Forms/form/resume/2908/888839

2908 = form_id

888839 = submission_id


 

I saved a draft and traced it back into these Forms database tables: 

  • [cf_submissions]
  • [cf_form_submissions]


The submission_id in the above URL does not exist in either table when my test submission_id does exist. 


FYI, I have looked at the drafts tab in Monitor for the specific process. These drafts are saved on the very first form before any formal submittal. The draft for the user mentioned above does not exist. If I go to the URL, I get his message:

I am looking for other ways to troubleshoot this before involving my VAR if possible. I'm also looking for a better way to understand how the draft data is stored and if it gets deleted once submitted or is it archived anywhere. Any light any of you can shed would be helpful. Thank you friends!

Laserfiche Forms Professional Version 11.0.2311.50553

1 0

Replies

replied on May 8

I now have additional information to share on this. I have a user that saved a draft but cannot retrieve that data. 


Notice the matching BPID (4138) as the above instance:


If I reassign this to myself and check the checkbox to save draft data, it is blank. This matches the description of the problem from the user (draft data does not save).

Additionally, I have a query that pulls draft data from the Forms database. I can see the lost data there. The bpid shows there. 

I have proof it saved the data but the form cannot retrieve it. 

I have been pretty cool about this, but this is extraordinarily not ok. This erodes trust in Laserfiche with my end users and with me. Please assist ASAP. 

1 0
replied on May 8

@████████ or @████████ have either of you ever had drafts not save?

0 0
replied on May 8

I have not had this issue, but we do not use Drafts for most of our processes.

1 0
replied on May 8

I haven't had any recent reports of this, but I also moved to a new district, and we are not heavy on drafts.  Previously, we used drafts on many processes but mostly external and did not have issues.  Are you still on the same version as you were in December?

1 0
replied on May 8

No we are on v12 now and have run the April update. Thanks for the response!

0 0
replied on May 8

I'll run some tests and see if I can duplicate, we are on the same version as well.

1 0
replied on May 8

Where are you seeing the data saved?  I did a few tests and I can see where it stores the draft email, name, submission ID and date but not any data that is saved in the draft.  I ran a test against the [LF_Forms].[dbo].[cf_bp_data] table using the draft button as an internal user and it only stores the original data submission, not anything I updated but saved as a draft.

0 0
replied on May 8 • Show version history

Merry Christmas! Swap out [YOUR_DB_NAME] with your forms server name. You need the submissionID from the draft you need as well.

 

-- Rebuild FullVar using the same logic as your sample (left of '_.', right of '.')
-- while avoiding row explosion.
SELECT
    d.submission_id,
    d.attribute_id,
    fld.label AS FieldLabel,
    d.bp_data_id,
    d.value,
    FullVar =
        CASE
            WHEN mL.name IS NULL AND mR.name IS NULL
                THEN m.name
            ELSE
                CONCAT(
                    ISNULL(mL.name, ''),
                    CASE WHEN mL.name IS NOT NULL AND mR.name IS NOT NULL THEN '\' ELSE '' END,
                    ISNULL(mR.name, '')
                )
        END
FROM [YOUR_DB_NAME].[dbo].[cf_bp_data] AS d

OUTER APPLY (
    SELECT TOP (1)
        f.label
    FROM [YOUR_DB_NAME].[dbo].[cf_fields] AS f
    WHERE f.attribute_id = d.attribute_id
    ORDER BY f.field_id
) AS fld

OUTER APPLY (
    SELECT TOP (1)
           b.member_id,
           b.member_path
    FROM [YOUR_DB_NAME].[dbo].[cf_bp_dataset] AS b
    WHERE b.attribute_id = d.attribute_id
    ORDER BY
        CASE WHEN b.member_path LIKE '%[_].%' THEN 0 ELSE 1 END,
        LEN(b.member_path),
        b.member_path
) AS pick

JOIN [YOUR_DB_NAME].[dbo].[members] AS m
    ON m.id = pick.member_id

OUTER APPLY (
    SELECT
        left_id = TRY_CAST(
            LEFT(
                pick.member_path,
                NULLIF(CHARINDEX('_.', pick.member_path), 0) - 1
            ) AS INT
        ),
        right_id = TRY_CAST(
            SUBSTRING(
                pick.member_path,
                NULLIF(CHARINDEX('.', pick.member_path), 0) + 1,
                4000
            ) AS INT
        )
) AS parts

LEFT JOIN [YOUR_DB_NAME].[dbo].[members] AS mL
    ON mL.id = parts.left_id

LEFT JOIN [YOUR_DB_NAME].[dbo].[members] AS mR
    ON mR.id = parts.right_id

WHERE d.submission_id = 16431
-- AND m.name = 'singleDate_mi'

ORDER BY FullVar, d.bp_data_id;

 

0 0
replied on May 11

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue and the script you gave does show the values that were submitted on the initial Start but nothing updated and stored as a draft.  My understanding that those values do not come through until an actual submission happens.  

0 0
replied on May 11

Yep, that's correct. I can see the values but they do not appear for the original user nor anyone that reassigns afterwards. In this scenario this is NOT the message start event. 
The values are stored as a draft before the submission happens. That is where that query comes in handy. It grabs the values without being submitted when it is saved as draft. There is another query required to get the submission ID of the draft to them pull the data. 

I cannot reproduce the issue on command. It is always am emergency where a user tells me they have been saving a draft for weeks and have lost all their data and no longer know what they saved because they rely on the save as draft feature.  

 

0 0
replied on May 14 • Show version history

Update: We have a ticket in with LF Support. This issue cannot be reproduced on command but I can prove that a draft exists and data is present in the database but that data does not reach the Form. All the usual tables that show a draft is present show the submission_id for the draft in question. 

Since we can access the draft data, we have a time consuming and tedious workaround where myself or team member manually keys in all the missing data. 

I would bet that LF Support drops this ticket like a hot rock since it cannot be reproduced. If so, I'll add to the clues and details when it happens again. 

1 0
replied on May 18

LF Support requested the entire Forms database to analyze. I am super grateful they took additional steps and didn't cancel the ticket. I got that off to them last Friday. 

1 0
replied on May 21

@████████ and @████████ was there something that led you to stop using drafts? Or was this something that just never got put into use? Thanks!

 

 

0 0
replied on May 21

I still use drafts and never have much of a problem other than user errors which are little things like they forgot they saved it as a draft and thought they actually submitted it.  Even from an external public form, I haven't run into the issue you are referring to.  I do give a limit on how long drafts will be kept though to protect users from submitting very old drafts after form updates have been made.

1 0
replied on May 22

It's not that we have "stopped" using drafts, it's more that they just aren't as useful in the processes we are currently using.

1 0
replied on May 24

Hi Chris,

I see our support should have updated your ticket with a detailed analysis and resolution, have you reviewed it? If you have any questions or concerns, post here or update the ticket so we can help you.

0 0
replied on May 26 • Show version history

Thank for the follow up. I have been in contact with LF Support. We have ruled out a user accidentally de-selecting the "keep draft data" check box. The Form for the step is selected via a variable value. Somehow that value changed and no longer showed the user's data. It was still there but just not showing. So this is a different kind of issue that the draft data not saving. It DID save the draft date. 

But keep in mind I have personally witnessed draft data NOT saving on a start event in v11. So I'm a skeptic. Unfortunately, I have no proof of that so I have no case. I hope whatever I saw was sorted out in v12 and we never see it again :)

1 0
replied on June 2

Ok final update on this. This gets nerdy real quick so hang in there. 

The issue centered around the form getting set on the step with a variable.

here is an example of that:

 

What appears to have happened is this:
1) User saved a draft (not starting event)

2) the step was updated (and process saved ) to use a different non-variable driven form. This broke the connection to the draft. Some time after this, the form was returned to being variable driven, but the connection to the draft remained broken. 

3) User returned to draft, saw no data and freaked out. The data was still there but inaccessible. Much drama ensued ha ha.

 

We could see the data in the database so we knew it was not lost. LF Support provided an update query to reset the form name to match the variable driven form name. The form could be opened successfully and the data showed. 

There is no evidence of who changed the form name. I was doing a ton of troubleshooting in there due to the slowdown of performance after upgrading to v12. I'll assume I made the change not knowing the impacts. 

The lesson learned here: changing the form on the process can break user's drafts when the form is set via variable. So proceed with caution. 

0 0
replied on June 9

I had a case where the form did NOT use the correct variable that sets the form name. It is very clear to see. 

My advice: do not use variables in your form names. It is not to be trusted. Unfortunately, that means building out multiple pathways on the process diagram. Tedious yes, but less pieces that can break. 

0 0
replied on May 8

This has happened with multiple users in our organization. Most luckily had data saved outside of Laserfiche and we're able to send it to me to re-enter on their behalf. This is costing me many hours each month to correct these issues. Others were relying on the save feature to keep their data on a daily or weekly basis. When we are talking about entering reimbursement data for daily travel between locations, its not just data, were talking about costing our users financially in money they should be reimbursed for travel between sites. I want our agency to buy in to using Laserfiche, but it is hard to build trust when these continue to pop up. I'm starting to lose traction.

1 0
replied on May 8

Hi Molly,

Could you contact your VAR to open a support ticket for you so we can have a further look what's going wrong?

1 0
replied on May 8

Hi Chris,

this format OUR-FORMS-SERVER/Forms/form/resume/2908/888839 is from a Message Start Event draft, while your last update seems to be related a task draft, do you meet the issue on both kinds of drafts?

The draft submission is a little different from normal submission, the submission info is stored in cf_submssions table, and form data in cf_bp_data table, I looked your sql query, you should have some findings on this already. Back to the issue, when the draft is submitted, the original draft's info in cf_submissions and cf_bp_data tables will be removed, and replaced with normal submission data, so usually when you cannot find it, it means it's submitted, or manually deleted. If you are sure it's neither submitted nor deleted, I'd suggest contact your VAR to open a support ticket for you.

1 0
replied on May 9

I have heard about complaints from users that their draft does not save mostly from the non-Start Event draft. I dismissed them as network or user errors until I saw one with my own eyes. This 'update' I made yesterday is specifically for a Message Start Event. I could find the data in the database (as mentioned previously) but the form does not return it. There is a disconnect there and possible bug. 

So to answer your question, yes both. 

I appreciate your info on how the data works in the database. I can find the data, though. I can find data for both message start events and non-message start events. So I think I am good there, but thank you so much. 

0 0
replied on May 10

Well sounds quite strange, I never heard of such issue, however I don't think this is a bug but something maybe misconfigured, so it's better to contact our Support team to have a look, you can provide a video to reproduce your issue starting from saving a draft. Thanks.

0 0
replied on May 11 • Show version history

Agree. I simply did not believe the users who have been telling me about this for years. If it is a misconfiguration, it is at the database level. I have uninstalled, wiped remnant data and then reinstalled Forms twice on this machine. 

As I mentioned below with Angela, I cannot reproduce this on command. But.... the post I made 2 days ago I can reproduce. It shows there is a draft but no data loads. There is data showing in the database.
This:


We have a ticket started with our vendor. I appreciate all your time and attention to this situation we are having. Thank you so much :)

0 0
replied on May 8

I agree with Chris. Several of my processes rely heavily on users being able to save drafts, and if they are unable to retrieve them, it could result in hours of work being lost and extremely dissatisfied customers.

0 0
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.