You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Question

Are there any hidden Out of Office configuration settings

asked on November 6, 2025

Is there anywhere to control out-of-office behavior? I don't see any in the UI but maybe a config file somewhere?

The reason I ask is that tasks assigned to a single user--even hard-coded and without the use of teams--will suspend if the user is out. This is not my preferred behavior. I would like to override that and still assign the task. Or as a worst-case, disable OOO functionality all together. But just suspending tasks sent to individuals who are out of office seems like it's going to cause issues.

Side note: for my particular case, I am using team logic with a "find by display name" connected to a custom user picker field. My intention was to alert them that the user is out but also allow them to assign anyway, in the case that they'd be back relatively soon or the request isn't urgent. I have the logic sorted out for both the new template UI and Forms, but the auto-suspend overruled me.

2 0

Replies

replied on November 9, 2025

Currently, we don't have a configuration or solution for this. However, there is already a backlog item to support configuring a backup user for task. After configuration, the task will automatically be reassigned to the backup user if all original assignees are marked out-of-office. Would this work for you?

0 0
replied on November 10, 2025

That would not work for our organization. We would need the ability from an administrative level to disable the feature completely, especially if the backup user option is added. We cannot have end users selecting any user they want to approve an invoice. It must follow the configured users. Without being able to disable it, it would cause so many audit issues.

1 0
replied on November 10, 2025

I think you will need to allow process or even step-specific configuration; a one-sized-fits-all approach is not going to be enough. For my particular concern, I don't want the task to suspend if it's assigned to a user marked out-of-office.

To be honest, the various types of functionality I can think of would be handled more easily if there was a built-in People Picker type field that could have some options set.

0 0
replied on November 10, 2025

Thank you both for the feedback. I'll share your request with the team.

0 0
replied on July 2 • Show version history

Hello,
I was at LF Empower 2026 and they mentioned that LF has an Out of Office feature.  I'm trying to implement it.  I have a team called IT Approval and I create 2 roles, Primary Approver and Backup Approver, then I modified the User Task to assign it to the 'IT Approval' team and filtered to Primary Approver.
Now, I want to test it, but I don't see how to set the Out of Office.  That option does not appear on my User Profile.  We are Self-Hosted, do you know how to configure that feature.
Thanks.

0 0
replied on July 2

It only works with the round robin option.

0 0
replied on July 9

I just took a quick look at the out of office feature - it allows me to set a date/time window but it doesn't seem to have a way for me to assign a backup person to route tasks to. Is that going to be offered any time soon?

0 0
replied on July 3

We have a backlog item #588008 that will support configuring backup user so that when the task assignee is OOO, new tasks will be auto assigned to the backup user. But there is no ETA when it will be available.

0 0
replied on July 9

Ok, that answers my question from the above thread. I'm very interested to have that added, because I do think it will be requested by my users - just having the default behaviors of skipping the assigned user or suspending the task just won't be viable.

0 0
replied on July 9

Please do not add this feature without a way to either completely disable it or allow it to be set per process. We have processes that would need different backup users for the same user depending on the process. Before those users should be set, they would also need to go through an approval. Without controls around this type of feature, we will have a lot of audit issues.

1 0
replied on July 9

It would be optimal if the user or admin could select a backup person on a per-process basis. When they activate the OOO, present a table of processes that contain tasks they they are assigned to, and let them pick their backup from a User dropdown list.

0 0
replied on July 9

Even a per-process basis would not be enough. It would have to be on a per-process and per user task basis. Depending on the user task the same backup user cannot be used. It gets complicated and allowing this type of feature without those controls can put a lot of organizations in serious trouble when it comes to being compliant with various regualtions.

0 0
replied on July 9

Understood...theoretically I wonder if it would be possible to show tasks for each selected process so the user/admin could drill down further to select backup users more granularly.

0 0
replied on July 9

Thanks for the feedbacks, I'll mark them down in the backlog.

0 0
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.