You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Question

Anyone else unable to "Preview" a Template in the Web Client?

asked on August 7, 2025

I am unable to "Preview" a Template in the Web Client in LF12 and in the Desktop client, although I can preview it, it does not show the layout that I have designed, which I would expect since it does not have the new layout functionality. 

I have provided screenshots below of the Web Client preview in the template list (Image A) and from inside the template (Image B). Both show nothing. This is my experience whether working with a newly created template or one that was created before updating to LF12. 

Image A

Image B

0 0

Answer

SELECTED ANSWER
replied on March 24

The issue may be caused by the Everyone trustee or the individual user trustee having the [Settings]CacheFieldValues attribute set to "Yes". To confirm, delete that attribute or set it to "No" and then have the user log out of the web client and log back in and see if that allows templates to be previewed now.

1 0

Replies

replied on August 7, 2025

I can see a preview but get the database error shown.

0 0
replied on August 7, 2025

Thank you for checking and responding.

0 0
replied on August 7, 2025

Chuck, that 9008 is a bug in the web client (#545780) that occurs when the repository has an external table configured that it can no longer access. It's not relevant to loading the Preview pane. There should be a corresponding error in the Laserfiche Server's event log that would give you direction on which table to look at. Something along the lines of 

An error occurred when executing an SQL query, retrieving the results of a query, or otherwise communicating with the database server. Session ID=74127; Dialog ID=247884; Repository="REPONAME"; Function=SysQueryGetExtTblColumns; Message="[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'DBNAME.SCHEMA.TABLENAME'."; Statement="select * from DBNAME.SCHEMA.TABLENAME"; SQL Variable=""; SQL State="42S02".

Vicky, please have your solution provider open a case with Tech Support so we can take a closer look. Does it happen to any template? Even one with a single text field?

2 0
replied on August 7, 2025 • Show version history

I didn't have any with only one field but I just created one to test it out. Yes, same result. 

0 0
replied on March 23

Vikki, were you able to resolve this? I have the same issue. If I look in DevTools in the browser I see the following Console error:

0 0
replied on March 23 • Show version history

I was not able to resolve this, nor was our Laserfiche partner. I was told to basically hope it is resolved in an update. 

It is not across all repositories. We have 4 in production. This happens in 2 of the 4.

1 0
replied on March 23

I'll open a support case and see if I can get anywhere.

1 0
SELECTED ANSWER
replied on March 24

The issue may be caused by the Everyone trustee or the individual user trustee having the [Settings]CacheFieldValues attribute set to "Yes". To confirm, delete that attribute or set it to "No" and then have the user log out of the web client and log back in and see if that allows templates to be previewed now.

1 0
replied on March 24

That resolved it! THANK YOU!  Mine was set to "True" when I changed that to "False", the preview displays. 

0 0
replied on March 24

That seems to have fixed the issue. Is there a fix coming that will allow the Preview to work with that attribute in place?

0 0
replied on March 24

The matter has been reported to our development team and we'll update further when we have more information regarding a fix.

1 0
replied on March 24

@████████ as a side conversation: what do you use that attribute for? I'm not familiar with it.

0 0
replied on March 24

We have dynamic metadata fields that can have thousands of options. The CacheFieldValues attribute will retrieve them once per client instance.

1 0
replied on March 25

We have the same issue.

I am the only one in our city who would be working with templates administratively, and I am not typically having to assign field values unless it is for testing purposes. So for us - it is not a huge issue if I do need to change the setting now and then just for myself, but I can see how this could be a big problem in some organizations. 

0 0
replied on March 25

The fix for this issue is targeted for the upcoming Laserfiche 12 Spring 2026 release, slated for release in April.

2 0
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.