You are viewing limited content. For full access, please sign in.

Question

Question

Conditions on parallel outflow paths in Forms

asked on June 27, 2017 • Show version history

I am getting this message

  • One of the sequence flows originating from parallel gateway "Parallel Gateway" (ID: 17) in the "Main Process" process has condition expression set. All sequence flows from the current step should run in parallel, remove any conditions on these sequence flows.

 

I have conditions set because not ALL paths should be taken in all scenarios. I am not sure what is wrong with this? I have conditions as always for which user tasks run, I am simply saying that I want all my tasks to run parallel, that shouldn't mean that all my tasks run without conditions.

0 0

Answer

SELECTED ANSWER
replied on June 27, 2017 • Show version history

Chad,

If you want parallel execution, but some of the paths are conditional, then you should be using an Inclusive Gateway instead of a Parallel Gateway.

Parallel = AND (will always follow all outflow paths)

Inclusive = AND/OR (will follow all outflows with satisfied conditions)

Using the Inclusive Gateway, you would then add conditions where needed.

  • If you have one path that will always run, then you would set it as the default outflow path of the Inclusive Gateway so it always executes.
  • If you have more than one path that will always run
    • Connect your conditional outflows to the Inclusive Gateway
    • Connect a Parallel Gateway as the "default" outflow of the Inclusive Gateway
    • Connect any non-conditional outflows to the Parallel gateway
  • OR
    • Put a Parallel before your Inclusive Gateway
    • Connect any non-conditional outflows directly to the Parallel Gateway
    • Connect the Inclusive Gateway to the Parallel Gateway
    • Connect your Conditional outflows to the Inclusive Gateway

 

This documentation on Gateways provides some good explanations/examples.

 

UPDATE: To clarify, it seems that the "default" path on an Inclusive will only execute if none of the other conditions are met.

4 0
replied on June 27, 2017

Thank you, the inclusive works just like I expected the parallel to work! The word "inclusive" is very abstract compared to the terminology used in Workflow, where you can have a parallel with conditions.

0 0
replied on July 19, 2017 • Show version history

Do you have any pictures to describe these options?

0 0
replied on July 19, 2017 • Show version history

I didn't actually build out the process so I don't have any images unfortunately, but the documentation linked in my first post should provide at least some help. The examples are animated to make things a bit more straightforward.

0 0
replied on April 13, 2018

Thank you for a clear and logical explanation.

0 0

Replies

You are not allowed to reply in this post.
You are not allowed to follow up in this post.

Sign in to reply to this post.